Today’s post will have to be short, as writing doesn’t fit into my usual list of boxing day traditions. Boxing day at my house is a trifecta of tradition. It involves 3 basic things: Jam Jams, hockey & feats of strength. In very basic terms, a day of enjoying the fruits of your labors. You work hard all year and you run around for a month straight trying to figure out how to satisfy all the stupid gift exchange traditions and get all the meals and get-togethers out of the way until finally... it’s Christmas night and you can reflect on the fact that you did it. Another successful Christmas. Congratulations. So how do you celebrate? If you don't mind, I'll make a few suggestions.
1. The best hockey of the year begins this day, so treat yourself to some heaping helpings of great hockey. Of course you must root for the correct team.
2. Don’t be afraid to have a couple of drinks and relax.
3. Stay in your jam jams all day.
4. Think about all those Boxing Day sales, then sit back and relish in the fact that you have enough and you don’t give a shit.
5. Don’t leave the house. There aint nothin’ out there worth going out for.
6. It IS called boxing day, so it would be prudent to have some boxing gloves on hand to play with after hockey.
You know what, all I’m sayin’ is relax, watch hockey, eat crap, stay in, get drunk, tell everyone how much you love them and maybe give them a shot in the face with a boxing gloved hand. After 46 years on the planet, I’ve put some old experiences together to give you this advice; do whatever you want on boxing day. It’s your day. And as creator of the new world, I give you permission.
In the new world, boxing day is YOUR day to do whatever you want, but I highly suggest getting drunk with loved ones and watching some good hockey!
AND SO IT SHALL BE WRITTEN!